Kansas City Chiefs logo (Photo credit: Wikipedia
Here it is the pre-combine, pre-free agency and pre-workout mock draft. Again remember this isn’t necessarily how I would draft rather how I think the teams will draft. Feel free to leave your thoughts, comments or suggestions.
- Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M..With the expected departures to their offensive line Andy Reid gets the cornerstone for the new Chiefs offense line.
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Bjoern Werner DE Florida State….Jags need to improve pressure on to the QB and Werner grades out now as the top end in the draft.
- Oakland Raiders: Star Lotulelei DT Utah…Every team wants a man in the middle that resembles Haloti Ngata and Star is that player for the Raiders revamped defense.
- Philadelphia Eagles: Dee Milliner CB Alabama….Very good chance they will start the season with two new corners.
- Detroit Lions: Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M…..With the recent departures makes this an easy selection. Moore is a likely day one starter.
- Cleveland Browns: Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia…..After an offensive heavy draft last year the Browns flip and take best player available on the other side of the ball. Georgia DC stated second best he ever coached only to D. Ware.
- Arizona Cardinals: Geno Smith QB West Virginia….the number one QB rated in the draft will be given every chance to be a day one starter.
- Buffalo Bills: Chance Warmack OG Alabama….they can get their QB in round 2 instead get the meanest player in the draft and help build a real offense.
- NY Jets: Barkevious Mingo DE LSU….Need to brings some heat on opposing offenses and Mingo can do that.
- Tennessee Titans: Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri…Return to the old days with some mean men in the middle of the defense.
- San Diego Chargers: Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan….Time to rebuild that line if they expect to return to the playoffs anytime soon.
- Miami Dolphins: Keenan Allen WR California….Time to get a #1 WR threat for this offense to have any hope of making the next step.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Desmond Trufant CB Washington….Need to move on from Barber and the Aqib Talib mistake.
- Carolina Panthers: Jesse Williams DT Alabama….Time to get a new middle man to dominate the line of scrimmage. Williams has great strength, power and is only scratching the surface.
- New Orleans Saints: Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU…..New scheme means some new blood for the defense.
- St. Louis Rams: Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma…If they hope for Bradford to continue to improve they need to keep him upright.
- Pittsburgh Steelers: Sharrif Floyd DT Florida….Need to get a new anchor for the middle of the line and make up for some recent misses that attempted to do that in the past drafts.
- Dallas Cowboys: Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State….After the past year with the struggles with Jay Ratliff and Josh Brent it is time Dallas adds a reliable force for their new 4-3 scheme.
- NY Giants: John Jenkins DT Georgia….Time to rebuild the defensive line. Jenkins will give the Giants a nice trio of defensive tackles to rotate with Joseph and Austin.
- Chicago Bears: Manti Te’o ILB Notre Dame…No player in history has had a more bizarre off-season then Te’o but time to move past that and landing in Chicago will help fix that.
- Cincinnati Bengals: Alex Okafor DE Texas….Has ability to stand up or put his hand down. Potential steal of the first round.
- St. Louis Rams (from Washington): Kenny Vaccaro FS Texas….Desperate need for the defense and should become leader of the secondary very quickly.
- Minnesota Vikings: Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee….I was told before the season starts Patterson was the best of the Vols receivers. They weren’t wrong. Minnesota gets a much needed big target for Ponder.
- Indianapolis Colts: Dantone Jones DE UCLA…..Focus last year was on offense this year top pick goes to the other side of the ball.
- Seattle Seahawks: Alec Ogletree OLB Georgia…..The Seahawks have had enough Leroy Hill drama to last them for a while.
- Green Bay Packers: Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina….Time to rebuild that offensive line. Cooper is a talented addition to any team.
- Houston Texans: Kevin Minter LB LSU….They need a long term replacement for Bradie James and what better to replace one LSU LB with another.
- Denver Broncos: Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State….Everyone remember how the season ended ….enough said.
- Kansas City (projected trade with New England): Matt Barkley QB USC….Barkley’s drop stops and Andy Reid gets his QB for the next twelve years.
- Atlanta Falcons: Zach Ertz TE Stanford....With Tony Gonzalez retiring the Falcons turn the page withe best tight available.
- Buffalo Bills (projected trade with San Francisco): Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas….How many times did we hear he’s tough like Jim Kelly. Bills fans would take that in a heartbeat.
- Baltimore Ravens: Dion Jordan DE Oregon…..Ravens just add talent to that defense.
Well there it is the pre combine, pre free agency, pre just about everything else. Feel free to send me an email or follow me at Twitter at @ftballdialogue