School: Michigan | Position: Tight end | Height: 6044 | Weight: 230 | Forty: 4.72 | Class: 2016
Hometown: Farmington Hills, MI | Year: Junior | Dob: 5/21/94 | Projection: 1st Round | Pro Comparison: Julian Thomas
- Dangerous when lining up on the perimeter, creating a lot of mismatches. Too fast for linebackers, too big for cornerbacks and safeties. Wide receiver in a tight end's body.
- Agile, athletic and has a knack for finding the open seam in the defense. Gains yards in bunches-- averages over 15 yards per catch for his career.
- Can block when he 'wants to' according to coaches. Has been a liability in pass protection and detrimental to the run game.
- Suffers from stone-hands; endures too many drops, especially in critical situations.
- Expected to line up more (majority, if not all) of his snaps at wide receiver in 2014 but size, frame and speed translate into a hybrid tight end/slot receiver at the next level.
“My football IQ is off the charts. I knew all the positions, made sure I knew all the formations and just got everybody set when we were doing summer 7-on-7s.” --Devin Funchess
“Most people call him a tight end who detaches himself from time to time, I call him a receiver who lines up as a tight end every once in a while” --Kansas State Head Coach Bill Snyder