School: Michigan | Position: Tight end | Height: 6044 | Weight: 230 | Forty: 4.72 | Class: 2015
Hometown: Farmington Hills, MI | Year: Junior | Dob: 5/21/94 | Projection: 1st Round | Pro Comparison: Julian Thomas
- - - - -
- Dangerous when lining up on the perimeter, creating a lot of mismatches-- gets up the field quickly and rumbles down the field to accumulate yards after the catch. Too fast for linebackers, too big for cornerbacks and safeties. Wide receiver in a tight end's body.
- Agile, athletic and has a knack for finding the open seam in the defense. Gains yards in bunches-- averages over 15 yards per catch for his career.
- Long arms and good size gave him the ability to use his hands to move defenders wherever was necessary to catch, separate, or block down the field.
- From his positional experience he adjusted to finding the soft spots in zone coverage to help move the chains consistently.
- Can block when he 'wants to' according to coaches. Has been a liability in pass protection and detrimental to the run game.
- Suffers from stone-hands; endures too many drops, especially in critical situations. Concentration lapses; too focused on worrying about what he is going to do after the catch it before he hauls it in.
- Switched to wide receiver in 2014 and lined up all over the field but size, frame and speed translate into a hybrid tight end/slot receiver at the next level. A luxury weapon for any offense.
“My football IQ is off the charts. I knew all the positions, made sure I knew all the formations and just got everybody set when we were doing summer 7-on-7s.” --Devin Funchess
“Most people call him a tight end who detaches himself from time to time, I call him a receiver who lines up as a tight end every once in a while” --Kansas State Head Coach Bill Snyder
STATS | HIGHLIGHTS
REC YDS AVG TD 100+
2012 15 234 15.6 5 1
2013 49 748 15.3 6 2
2014 62 733 11.8 4 2
- - - - -