School: Arizona State | Position: WR | Height: 6036 | Weight: 215 | Forty: 4.48 | Class: 2016
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA | Year: Junior | Projection: 2nd Round | Pro Comparison: Brandon Marshall / Kenny Britt / Sidney Rice
- Major deep threat and explosive speed combined with outstanding vertical game. Possesses elite body control for jump balls and getting after it at its highest point, while adapting his body in mid-air.
- Works well in gaining yards after the catch on screen passes. Shows the strength/physicality to fend off bump and run coverage. Back shoulder fade pass is one of his specialties.
- Has worked extremely hard on his strength, gaining 15 pounds of muscle prior to 2014. He also increased his 225 bench press reps from zero to eight, enhanced his vertical jump from 35” to 39” and posted a 10’7 broad jump.
- Route running needs to improve. Has worked heavily on getting in and out of breaks.
- Room for improvement in the hand placement department and scouts would like to see him eliminate some drops.
- Run blocking needs major work.
- Has had a history of turf toe in the past.
- JUCO Transfer. Began at Pierce College. Redshirted 2011.
"Jaelen Strong is probably one of the sharpest receivers I've been around. He understands concepts. He understands his role of not only trying to get himself open, but how he might be pulling two people to open up somebody else." ASU OC Mike Norvell
"Things just come really easy for him. When Jaelen sees something, he knows it right away. If he sees something on the board in practice or in the film room, he'll go out and do it — one repetition and he has it memorized." –ASU QB Taylor Kelly
"He's a lot better getting off the ball in press (coverage). He's developed new moves. He's really competing for the ball when the ball's in the air. He has all the intangibles a top receiver should have." – ASU CB Llyod Carrington