School: Florida State | Position: DL | Height: 6024 | Weight: 295 | Forty: 4.79 | Class: 2016
Hometown: Gautier, MS | Year: Junior | Dob: 4/19/94 | Projection: 1st Round | Pro Comparison: Ty Warren / Shaun Ellis / Glenn Dorsey
- Versatile defensive lineman who can play up and down the line, inside/outside, hand in the dirt, two point stance, stand up pass-rusher or bull-rush space eater. Can fit numerous roles in 3-4 or 4-3 scheme.
- Possesses the quickness to be a disruptive backfield force. Does an excellent job of splitting double teams with his speed and agility.
- Shows the strength to get an effective push at the line of scrimmage against the run and re-direct the ball carrier’s direction. Utilizes his long wingspan to his advantage.
- Strong and athletic! Squats 600 pounds, bench presses over 400 pounds and can do a backflip at 300 pounds.
- Can get pushed back and bullied at times, needs to get better leverage and lower his body angles.
- Plays too upright at times, which especially creates trouble when he is late off the ball snap.
- Pursuit angles are sometimes questionable. Would like to see him play to the whistle and hustle a bit more.
- Missed two games as a sophmore after having a plate and screws inserted into his hand.
- Has reportedly been timed at 4.76 in the forty yard dash.
- Weight has fluctuated between 278-320.
- His high school coach raves about his work ethic as he and his father, former FSU star Mario Edwards, would work out together at 6:00 a.m. each morning.
- Many in the scouting community feel he is ideal 3-4 defensive end.
"He can play D-tackle, he can play D-end, he can play a 9-technique, he can play a 7- or a 6-[technique]. The guy is 305 pounds and can stand still and do back flips in front of you in full pads? I mean, he's athletic." – FSU Head Coach Jimbo Fisher
"I knew how to work. But coming here showed me that there's different levels of it. I was coming in kind of, 'I'm No. 1 this, No. 1 that,' and thinking it was going to be easy. So I had to step my work ethic up.” – Mario Edwards on his development