School: Ohio State | Position: LB | Height: 6026 | Weight: 252 | Forty: 4.50 | Class: 2016
Hometown: Harrisburg, PA | Year: Junior | Projection: 2nd Round | Pro Comparison: Shawn Merriman / Dee Ford / Vernon Gholston
- Good awareness; will attempt to make the strip when opportunity presents itself and still ensures he makes the tackle even if he doesn’t knock the ball loose.
- Quick first step burst and snap-count anticipation, to go along with great athleticism. Edge-rush specialist. Strong dip move; gets low to the ground almost sideways similarly to Derrick Thomas.
- Utilizes long arms well whether trying to gain leverage rushing or obstructing the quarterback’s view. Gives full effort on every play. Relies heavily upon his speed.
- Received a three-game suspension from the Big Ten after testing positive for the drug ecstasy and at last check was planning a lawsuit over the situation.
- Has a limited set of pass-rush moves. Can be bullied around by bigger, stronger linemen. Easily taken out of the play against double team coverage. Gets buried when pushed to the inside.
- Upside. Currently a bit raw, game needs polish but can take game to another level if maxed out and coached up. Benefits from extremely talented supporting cast.
"Spence shows terrific snap-count anticipation and first-step quickness, but is still unpolished as a rusher off the edge. He is still learning how to sequence his moves, but his impressive athleticism has allowed him to post solid production with a limited arsenal of pitches. If he can add a wrinkle or two to his game in the fall, Spence could be one of the most intriguing prospects to watch down the road.'' – Former NFL Scout Bucky Brooks