School: Auburn | Position: WR | Height: 6016 | Weight: 201 | Forty: 4.35 | Class: 2016
Hometown: Leroy, AL | Year: Junior | Dob: 3/31 | Projection: 1st Round | Pro Comparison: Larry Fitzgerald
- The top deep threat and biggest playmaker prospect in the nation! Averaged 54 yards per touchdown and 21.5 yards per reception in 2013. Slippery as soap, extraordinary in the open field.
- Can gain separation from cornerbacks and has flashed physicality against the press. Has been known to throw defenders around with a brutal stiff arm.
- Established team leader; a quality he brought from day one according to coaches/teammates and has been very vocal about it.
- Showed a renewed focus entering 2013, according to the Auburn coaching staff.
- Clutch player.
- Self admittedly stated that he needs to improve his concentration when going over the middle. Now takes a personal interest in going over the middle.
- Has shown improved route-running but still needs to hone his craft in that department.
- In 2011, he sat out the year after suffering a foot injury during preseason camp, he ended up taking a redshirt.
- Has been timed at 4.25 (handheld) according to Auburn strength coach Ryan Russell. He can also bench press 400+ pounds.
- Gaines 902 receiving yards in 14 games during 2013 season despite Auburn running the ball 71.9% of the time.
"I've improved a lot. I know how to control my body. I know how to come out of breaks. I know how to shed (defenders) with my feet and make different cuts. It helps me a lot to be able to be an (every-down) option instead of just being known as a deep guy." –Sammie Coates (April 2014)